Friday, May 8, 2009

Abundance for All

...this [prosperity gospel] means something very different in the comfort of an air-conditioned megachurch in suburban Atlanta (where “prosperity” signals an idolatrous, consumerist accumulation of luxury) as opposed to what “prosperity” promises in famished refugee camps in Rwanda. The former deserves our criticism; the latter, I think, requires careful listening.

- James K.A. Smith (whom I've met, and who I like)

A great little article in what seems to be a bit of a flurry of study on the prosperity gospel by Christian scholars of late (B&C reviewed a few books on the subject as of late).

3 comments:

Adunare said...

I also like Jamie Smith - cracking fellow. Neo-Cals from time to time get accused of a kind of prosperity Gospel, and I was reminded (again reading Alasdair MacIntyre) recently that sometimes pursuing God does not mean prosperity.

Quote: "As we have seen, cultivation of the virtues always may and often does hinder the achievement of those external goods which are the mark of worldly success. The road to success in Philadelphia and the road to heaven may not coincide after all" (AV, 198).

Q Prentice said...

I remember growing up in a bit of a backwoods community (where the rich were those who could finally afford to retire somewhere north of 70) and I remember hearing quite a bit about "prosperity". But though the message came from speakers often from urban mega-churches, the message always seemed to be interpretted as more "provision" than excessive, affluent prosperity. And there was also a strong line of teaching in my home church about the idea that to whom much is given much is also required.

Not that my home church always had it right; but it was interesting to see how the idea of the prosperity gospel was interpretted in a somewhat economically-depressed area.

Erin said...

I like this Smith quote. Thanks for posting it. On a recent weekend retreat we hit the perpetual problem of the "genie" verses in scripture. I'm surprised I never thought to put the verse into the context of the community addressed and instead tried to explain it theologically.