Monday, May 11, 2009

Can North American Christians do Cultural Transformation?


There is a great conversation going around my work email list today about the peril and prize of cultural and political transformationalism in Christian theology. Part of the conversation hit on the spiritual disciplines that public policy/politics folks must cultivate to do their work (though this extends far beyond politics).

In trust that this remains a pseudonymous forum for us to share opinions alike I copy a small section I wrote:

I remain very interested in the spiritual practices that fund a life in public policy/politics. North American Christians playing with wealth, power and politics always strikes me a bit like serving alcohol at the Lord’s Supper. I’m totally on side, but seriously – some people cannot handle that. And in this case, I’d say most of us are closet alcoholics. Frankly, I spend most of my days being torn somewhere between “this is so cool” and “I have to get the hell out of here”.
I am increasingly convinced that the disciplines of simplicity, contemplative prayer and chastity or celibacy are three critical virtues we need to rediscover to fund authentic Christian work in public life.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

- said...

I'm wondering, do you think these disciplines are particularly important for public life, or for life in general. If the former, perhaps you could explain why in particular these are needed for that vocation?

Adunare said...

I believe for life generally these are important disciplines, but I do mean they are particularly important for public life. Public life is a frenetic series of engagements, almost belying the opportunities for rest and reflection that might otherwise be found in more traditional vocations - "always working, never working" is the joke around my office.

Policy/political types move in a very fast paced life, skimming the surface with time for nothing beyond bullet points and quick coffees. They are the ultimate multi-taskers, cast in thick skin to survive the dangerous landscape. They live their days with an excess of both power and wealth.

Thus, I do think these disciplines are particularly important for public life/political people, because the saturation of these things is so severe in that context. How quickly - and easily - we lose our center, even in more traditional rhythms.

Q Prentice said...

You should take a look at an essay on Deitrich Bonhoeffer by Marilynne Robinson in her collection entitled "The Death of Adam." Bonhoeffer, though a theologian, was very much involved in public life (even in an attempt to overthrow Hitler!), but one of the last things he wrote from prison was to a friend regarding how much he missed communing around a table (spread, among other things, with bread and wine) with his friends. Table fellowship, for him, was one of the blessed realities of the Kingdom of Heaven actualized on earth.

This of course requires more time than a quick coffee.

Larry Doornbos said...

I believe that the virtues you speak of touch also the world of the church. As my schedule becomes increasingly crunched with quick coffees, multiple meetings, and the reality that Sunday keeps showing up every seven days (we couldn't have come up with a 10 day week?), I recognize that silence, solitude, and reflection are quickly lost. Even the work of centering one's life in a religious context can be difficult when life goes by in a blur.