Monday, March 23, 2009

Can God be Trusted?


A new book by John Stackhouse, Can God be Trusted?, asks some of the questions I've been thinking through the last few years. The intellectual challenge of evil can be answered in the abstract, that God can indeed be trusted to fulfill all things to the end that He has ordained. But along the way we can't pretend a great deal is not broken - not always to be repaired in the here and now.

Thus the challenge of evil I've been thinking about is not: can I trust that the world will reach its final consummation? - but, can I trust that this is going to work out for the better personally? Pardon the narcissism. The answer to that question - it seems to me - is no. I find this deeply troubling. What does trust in God mean, if I am rather unconvinced that God will indeed not keep "my foot from striking against a stone"? I am not so pious and not so pure as to be wholly indifferent to my stake in this life, and instead yearn only for the coming glory of the LORD. Perhaps I do yearn - if imperfectly - but much of my time is obsessed with the here and now, with the proximate and the piecemeal. How should a person experience a personal trust in God, in the wake of this challenge?

0 comments: