Monday, March 16, 2009

On shit (part II)

I really apologize for following e.go's post up with something so base, but this is really an update on an earlier post in which I wondered if sometimes we get so caught up with the 'big ideas' about globalization and development that we forget about base, human things which, while overlooked, are fundamental to human lives. This will tie into e.go's latest post, I promise.

Anywho, I want to alert you all to something which might help resolve some of the issues surrounding basic sanitation, a key issue in many developing countries, and indeed, a key issue in public health.

Click here and here. Isn't that, like, totally awesomecoolamazing?

I read in the Economist once of a Nigerian (I think he was Nigerian, I can't find the article online) who started a business in which all he did was a. manufacture port-o-potties and b. deliver them and manage them in shanty towns. What is most fascinating is that this simple bit of entreprenuership did a few things: a. it made him wealthy. b. it created jobs for upwards of 100 people making good wages c. it increased sanitation and thereby the health in the shanty towns in which his business operated

This, to me, seems to be an example of healthy entreprenuership and globalization. It meets basic human needs (I think this is key; I'm not sure if the infusion of capital into an area by setting up plants in shanty towns to exploit cheap labour is as good, though I'm open to the idea), and creates wealth in doing so. The business owner above, was able to start his business through micro-credit and grew it, all the while addressing basic needs.

2 comments:

Erin said...

"Kenny," an Australian film about a man who installs port-a-loos for a living, is well worth a watch. :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822389/

Anonymous said...

Great suggestion!